If you want to feel emotionally balanced, you can’t go wrong reaching for the color green. People who consider green a favorite color are calm, family-oriented, practical, compassionate, and nurturing.
Green has long been considered the color of life, symbolizing nature, fertility, growth, and energy. It’s also the color of money, bringing to mind images of prosperity, wealth, and abundance.
Fun Facts About Green
The next time you’re coloring with friends, impress them with these fun facts:
- Green is the national color of Ireland.
- Green was a popular choice for wedding dresses in the 1400s due to its association with fertility.
- Santa’s suit was widely portrayed as green until the 1950s when he became a staple in Coca-Cola’s Christmas advertisements.
- After London’s Blackfriar Bridge was painted green, suicides dropped by 34%.
- Scheele’s Green, a pigment used in wallpaper, home decor, and clothing, lead to thousands of deaths because of its arsenic content. It’s thought that Napoleon may have been one of the victims of this deadly shade.
- Research suggests that people perform better on tasks requiring creativity when they’re working a room decorating in green.
Shades of Green
Every colorist knows there are an abundance of shades of each color. Common shades of green include:
- Army green
- Hunter green
- Forest green
- Kelly green
- Moss green
- Shamrock green
Depending upon what shade you choose and what other colors you add, an adult coloring page with a green color palette can be playful and cheerful or sophisticated and elegant. Past color combos featured on Simply Inspired include:
- Lilac and jade green
- Apple green and light cerulean blue
- Lime green, hot pink, orange, and bright blue
[Photo is a colored page from MiniMENTALS by Sue Chastain.]